A reminder to all Directors (including alternate directors). If you became a director before the 31st of October 2021 and you have not applied for your director ID. You must do this before the 30th of November 2022 or penalties may apply.
For CATSI Directors (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporations) you have until the 30th of November 2023.
Any directors appointed on or after 5 April 2022, you must apply prior to your appointment.
You will only ever need one director ID. You don’t have to apply for another one if you become a director of other companies or corporations. However, you must apply for your own director ID to verify your identity. No one can apply on your behalf.
Who needs to apply for a director ID?
You need a director ID if you are a director of a:
- company registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission – Click here (ASIC) or the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations – Click here (ORIC)
- corporate trustee, for example of a self-managed super fund (SMSF)
- registered Australian body, for example an incorporated association registered with ASIC, like sporting clubs that trade outside of their state or territory
- charity or not-for-profit organisation that is a company or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation.
I’m not sure if I need a director ID. How do I check?
Check if you need a director ID:
- Search ABN Lookup – Click here using your ABN or business name. If ASIC Registration – ACN or ARBN or ARSN or ARFN is showing against your record, and you are a director, you need to apply for a director ID by 30 November.
- Search ASIC companies register – Click here for director details (providing the company is complying with its maintenance obligations).
- Determine who the directors are for
- not-for-profit organisations that are not registered with ACNC and have an ARBN or ACN – check the ASIC companies register – Click here for director details (providing organisation is complying with its maintenance obligations)
- charities that are registered with the ACNC and have an ARBN or ACN – search for a charity – Click here on the ACNC website. After selecting your charity, navigate to the People tab. If the role listed under your name is Director, you need to apply for a director ID by 30 November.
We can help you decide if you need to apply and assist you in gathering the necessary records.
Please head to the ABRS website for more information. Or call us before it’s too late.